Have you ever considered going pro with your tec diving? The PADI Tec Deep Instructor program allows you to teach tec programs all the way up to PADI Tec 50. At the Londonidc we run regular Tec instructor programs with PADI Tec Instructor Trainer Alex Griffin, where you’ll get the opportunity to assist on real courses and gain experience too. There is also the Tec Instructor rating which allows you to teach the Tec 40 program and is a great entry point to technical instruction, read on to find out more of what’s involved:
Course and Application Pre-requisites:
To begin the Tec Instructor Program you need to be
- Tec 45 or equivalent student level.
- Be a PADI deep and nitrox speciality instructor
- Have a 100 logged dives (20 nitrox, 25 deeper than 18m, 15 deeper than 30m).
To then qualify as a Tec Instructor you will need the following:
- Have 20 staged deco dives (these don’t have to be met before starting the tec instructor program but do need to be met before putting in the application).
For Tec Deep Instructor you also need to have the following levels before starting the course:
- Tec 50 or equivalent student level
Before putting in the application you also need to meet the following requirements:
- Be a PADI MSDT or higher
- 270 logged dives with at least 25 staged deco dives below 40m
- Have certified at least 10 nitrox and deep student level divers (can be a combination of both)
The course takes 5 days to complete. It roughly breaks down as follows:
Day 1: Theory, kit set up
Day 2: 2 x Skills dives and practical applications
Day 3: Simulated deco dive and full deco dive
Day 4: Simulated deco dive and full deco dive
Day 5: ‘Mini Instructor Exam’
During the course you will go through the tec skill circuit, working on demoing key skills like shutdowns, NOTOX , gas sharing and SMB deployment. You’ll also complete practical exercises in planning technical diving using both manual planning and deco software. During the Mini IE you will be evaluated on several key skills and you will also teach a series of skills in a similar manner to the PADI IDC.
The Tec Instructor program takes 3-4 days to complete, following a similar outline
We can run the course anywhere we have access to deep enough water, in the UK, I tend to use Wraysbury, Vobster and NDAC. The course can be run as a stand alone course or run alongside existing student level tec courses although we need at least one day dedicated to the course for the mini IE.
The course costs £200 per day excluding the following
- Course Materials: (currently approx £60)
- Equipment hire
- Gas fills
- Applications to PADI
- Dive centre costs or dive site entrances
I will be running a program in 2018 from the 6-10 June. For more details or to sign up, please let me know!