At the London IDC, we teach the new open water course. The following lists some of the key changes to the course. Our Course Director is available to consult in your dive centre if you would like an in-water update on the new course.
- Securing a loose tank camband.
- Emergency Weight drop.
- Emphasis on neutral buoyancy throughout teaching.
- Emphasis on horizontal trim: no more buddha hovers!
- Dive planning: Mini dives in confined and open water.
- Dive computer planning as a requirement: RDP is now optional.
These are some of the new areas of the course. The new open water course is not a total overhaul but instead a modernisation of the course to bring it up to date with current ways of thinking.